Monday, March 1, 2010

Una visita de Katharine

Monday I began a new class for foreign kids. There are only about 4 of us in the class, it’s taught by a student, and it’s not for a grade or anything. Basically we just go twice a week for two hours and talk about Mexican tradiciones and cultura and stuff. It’s neat, but I was a little disappointed, because I had inquired about a class to help me with grammar. I set up a time and everything, and then the lady emailed me and told me that the program had been cancelled. The new class will still be good practice, just not really the kind of practice I need.
Tuesday the same group that went to Bernal, plus another boy from our class, hung out en el centro. We didn’t necessarily do anything too exciting, but it was fun nonetheless.
Wednesday there wasn’t any school. Why? Because it had been two weeks since our last day off. (Seriously, there’s a day off every two weeks, with the exception of one time when we go THREE WHOLE WEEKS without a day off. I think it is a wonderful system, with the exception that their semester is 6 weeks longer.) Wednesday was flag day, but I was told that there was some special anniversary for la UAQ and that was the reason we didn’t have class. I believe that all other universities were in session. We were thinking about going somewhere, but most people had exams on Thursday, and they wanted to study. This worked out well, as I had a lot of reading and a paper to do.
Thursday Ricardo told me that he’s moving for real this time. He’ll be leaving tonight, and mis padres don’t know if someone else will be taking his place yet.
Friday I found my new favorite spot – our roof. I spent 2 or so hours up there during the day sunbathing, and it was amazing. There are a few houses around ours with windows facing in our direction, but I’m not going to let that stop me from enjoying the sun. In related news, I heard it snowed more in Michigan this week. =)
This weekend Katharine, one of my friends from Traverse City, came to visit. She has been studying in Cuernavaca, a city which is over four hours south of Querétaro. We were planning to meet up in Michoacan (a state, which sounds slightly similar to Michigan. Some people here find that quite funny) in order to go to the monarch butterfly sanctuary. It’s on the list of the “13 Natural Wonders of Mexico,” along with la peña de Bernal. However, there has been some pretty extreme flooding in that area, so the sanctuary has been closed for the rest of the year. So, Katharine decided to come here. She was supposed to arrive around 7pm, but her bus was over 2 hours late. We didn’t have much time, but we went to el centro to find some food and to look around a little. The next day, Saturday, we were off to San Miguel de Allende, which is in the state of Guanajuato. It’s about 1 ½ hours from Querétaro by bus. Laurel and Kelsey came with us.
Katharine and I in San Miguel de Allende:

We wandered around the market, which is full of amazing things. Food, crafts, stuff.

We also saw the Parroquia, a famous church. We never got much of a chance to look around inside, as each time we went (three times) there was something going on. That’s a lot of church activity for a Saturday. I was quite content just staring at the outside, really.


We walked around more, through some random streets, and down to Parque Benito Juarez.
Random Street:

Parque Benito Juarez:

We sat there for a bit to relax.
After a long day of wandering around, we climbed to the top of the hill overlooking the city to watch the sunset. Gorgeous.


Video of the view:


We walked back to el centro to see the church one last time .

We walked back to the bus station, rode back to Querétaro, and took a taxi back to the house. When Katharine and I got home, there were a ton of people in mi casa (ok, not a ton compared to a Walters family get together, just a ton compared to the normal amount of people here. There were like 8 adults besides my parents and 5 or so kids.) We ate some dinner and then Katharine and I began to plan our spring break, which we did until 4 in the morning. Sunday we didn’t have much time, as Katharine had to leave at 3. We met up with Laurel and Kelsey again and went to el mirador in Querétaro to see the aqueduct. Then we went next door to this plaza of illustrious people (or something like that) and a tour guide was there. I learned a lot, but when we were done we didn’t have much time left. Then we went to Cerro de las Campanas (hill of the bells).

Statue of Benito Juarez:

It’s right next the la UAQ, but I hadn’t made it there yet. It’s famous cause some people were shot there, I believe. Also, it has rocks that sounds like bells, which is where it got its name. We walked past my school and took a bus back to the house, where we ate lunch and got ready to go. The weekend went by really fast, and I still had a lot of homework to do, but it was lovely.
New food: Thai food. Basically just a stir-fry of broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, and other stuff. I guess the only thing new about it was that mis padres told me it was Thai food. Later in the week, mi madre made a soup and mi padre told me to try it and that it wasn’t spicy. So I tried a little, and it wasn’t too spicy. At first. It got progressively hotter after I swallowed, to the point of my eyes watering. He then proceeded to make fun of me for thinking it’s hot, and told me that mi madre had picked all the seeds out of the peppers (apparently the seeds are what makes peppers spicy. I didn’t know this since I avoid peppers) so that it wouldn’t be too spicy for me.
New Querétaro pictures: Querétaro
Album from this weekend: Katharine en Querétaro

No comments:

Post a Comment