Monday, February 22, 2010

¿quién sabe?

It was somewhat cold and rainy again last week. Everyone here tells me that this is not normal for this time of year. One day this week I woke up and it was hailing! A little later as I was walking to the bus stop, it was raining while the sun was shining. It’s starting to warm up though, hopefully it will stay this way.
After the rain:

Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, and I went to church with mi madre. I was expecting the traditional hour mass, but instead we were there for about 10 minutes as the priest talked about the different parts of lent and such. Then we went up to the front and he put ashes on our head (not in the sign of the cross on our foreheads, but he pinched up some ashes and put them in our hair). It was strange.
Thursday I went to another salsa class. This time we danced in partners. For the first time ever in my life, there were more guys than girls. Who would have thought that would have happened in a dance class, of all places?
Saturday we returned to Bernal. This was my third time going there, so mis padres asked if I have a secret love there. This time we went with a group of students from our class, which was a lot of fun.
Our group:

One of them told us that part of the movie “Close Encounters of a Third Kind” was filmed there. We took the bus to Bernal, which alone was an entertaining story, as three of the people from our group made it to the bus just as it was pulling away. We arrived, ate some food, and climbed la peña.
The facts:

I’d be all for climbing it every weekend if it wasn’t so far away, and there weren’t a million other things I’d like to see.

Pride Rock:


We ate some more, and then our group left to catch the last bus. Laurel (another girl from Michigan) and I stayed for the night, as we heard it was lovely at night, and seeing as how it was my third time, we thought we should do something different. At night, they have lights shining on la peña and a show with a fountain and lights choreographed to music. We watched the show twice, and it was definitely worth staying the night.

Here's a video of one of the songs, even though it can't compare to real life: Bernal Fountain
The next day we got some breakfast and walked around the little shops.

New food: Arroz con leche (rice with milk). Basically it’s just rice with milk and cinnamon, but it’s delicious.
Updated facebook album: Bernal
Another video of the fountain for those who love water and lights and music as much as I do: Bernal Fountain 2

No comments:

Post a Comment