Monday, March 8, 2010

más despacio

Well, starting Friday, I had four nights of four hours of sleep, so this week was off to a good start. I also have a nice farmer’s tan going on.
This is Jamaica (pronounced huh-my-kah), my favorite flower:

It's edible. I haven't actually eaten it, I've just have jamaica flavored water.
Tuesday my “cousin” here got married, but it was just a small, middle-of-the-week ceremony, and I was at school. When I got home from class, we went to their house to eat. There were only 12 people total, so by my standards it was tiny. Lots of laughing though, so that was nice.
Most of you know how easily I blush. Really, really easily. I really don’t like when everyone is looking at/listening to me, especially in front of people I don’t know. Now, take that feeling, and then multiply it by the fact that people are speaking to me in Spanish. Basically, here I blush extra easily, and mi familia gets a kick out of that. I don’t. =)
Thursday I missed class because la UAQ decided that it was time to pay my host parents. However, instead of paying my host parents, they thought it would be best to pay me and then I can pay my host parents. This meant I had to go to a bank and open an account. Desorganización. Mi madre and I returned home and I helped a little with the preparation of tamales. Later I helped Ali with a resume in english and went to the mall and then walmart with Laurel.
The golf course in the "club" where Ali lives:

Friday I got to sunbathe again. Later that night I went to el centro to hang out.

The weekend was pretty uneventful, as I had a lot of work to do before my parents come (on Wednesday!) to visit. I also spent a lot of time planning for spring break with Katharine! But of course you’ll be hearing all about that later. Sunday I had a little more time to sunbathe, but I still have my farmer's tan...

New food: I tried some of the white wine that is made in Querétaro. I really don’t know much about wines, but it was more of a champagne because it was bubbly. It was decent. Also, we had a dish called “ropa viejo” which literally means old clothes. Mi padre said that usually you save bits and pieces of the meal over the week (rice, veggies, what not) and then add more meat, and put it in a tortilla with some beans. Well, my mom had made it fresh, so he said it was “ropa nueva.” He’s quite the character. I also went to a taco place down the street and had a gringa (taco with cheese, pastor (kinda like BBQ pork), and pineapple, with lime juice, as well as a volcan, which is basically a big round tostido chip with lots of cheese and pastor on top. Both were delicious. Friday mi madre made a dish called “patas de arañas” which means spider feet. Really it was some type of beef in a chipotle sauce. It was pretty good, despite the name.
Three kitties on the roof next to mine:

No comments:

Post a Comment