Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Antes de vacaciones…

Well between playing catch-up after my parents left and the busyness that comes before spring break, I haven’t been doing enough exciting things to warrant two updates.
Thursday…my birthday. Mis padres sang to me first thing in the morning when I came downstairs. Laurel and Kelsey brought a delicious coffee flavored cake that I can’t even begin to describe to school, and we ate it with some of our classmates. That was lovely of them. Later that night, a few of us went out to a restaurant. We were thinking about going to a bar after, but between the fact that it was late, Laurel was sick, I was tired, it was pouring, and everyone had class the next day, we decided not to. The restaurant didn’t even serve alcohol, so as of now, I have yet to have my first alcoholic beverage as a 21 year old. I’ll live.
The next day I went to la UAQ to help Laurel out. Her group for her photography class was doing a photo shoot, and they needed a model. I had posed for a few pics for her before, but it was just the two of us. I figured it would be her and her three other group members as well as the professor, but there were three other guys and an additional professor there as well…as if I’m not camera shy to begin with… At one point, Laurel asked if I was comfortable in the particular pose I was doing, because if not, it was going to show. That’s when I pointed out to her that the whole process is not very comfortable for me. =)
The weekend was spent doing homework. Exciting, I know. I also spent time preparing for spring break and trying to find shoes and shorts. I am unable to find the pair of shoes I’m looking for. I ended up buying some shorts. This is a big deal for me. You can now look forward to pictures of me on spring break looking uncomfortable because I’m wearing shorts.
I did find a few minutes to read outside in the sun this weekend too. =)
El centro:



Saturday as I was walking down the stairs in the morning, a guy was walking up. His name is Manuel, and he will be taking Ricardo’s old room. That was news to me. So far all I know about him is that he has a red car and he leaves his TV or radio on while he showers. I’ll let you know when I find out anything else.
This week was quite busy between school and preparation for spring break. I got a good grade on a paper that was handed back. I was extra excited about this because the first grade I got in that class was not so good, and the professor wasn’t exactly nice about it.
I have another list going. It is a list of similarities between my dad and mi padre. I’ve been working on it for awhile, but I figured it was appropriate to post it now, as last week when my parents were here I could really see the similarities.
-They both enjoy making fun of me relentlessly. When Katharine came to visit and mis padres were making fun of me, she looked at me and said “wow, it’s just like being at your house!”
-It’s ok when they’re making fun of me, but it’s not ok if other people are.
-It’s hard to tell when they’re joking.
-They both type in ALL CAPS. (I feel like this is a significant personality trait…)
-When asking them a short question, you may need to be prepared for a long answer.
-Every time I tell them I’m leaving, they tell me no.
-If you ask for a little more water, they’ll pour 2 drops in your cup. (I realize that other people do this too, but still).
-They enjoy entering a room and scaring me.
-They both look good in beards. Mi padre doesn’t have one right now, but I’ve seen pictures.
-They ask me how I slept, and before I can answer, ask “with your eyes shut?”
-They like to make me seem like the bad child. My dad can turn any story around to make it seem like I’m a brat. Mi padre keeps on telling people that I didn’t want to help them move so I went away for the weekend (really I had told them “hey, I’m going to Veracruz next weekend,” and then he was like “oh, we’re moving next weekend”).
-They both threaten to talk to teachers that make me upset.
Their biggest difference is that mi padre always tells me I’m pretty and skinny. After I told him that my dad tells me I’m ugly and fat, he once in awhile says that instead, but in general he’s very complementary.
Basically, mi familia here is very similar to my family at home. My mom and mi madre are very similar too, as they’re always smiling and laughing and happy. Everyone likes them because they’re so nice.
More pictures of la UAQ:
One of my classrooms:

The library…extensive, huh?


computer lab (one of my other classes is held in the backroom):

New Food: I had crepes with cajeta and ice cream, which was delicious. There were two of them, though, and I feel like one was enough…one of those things that’s good in smaller quantities. Also, mi madre made these delicious hashbrown like things with ham in them.
Sunset from my roof:

Alright, I am off for my two week spring break. Hopefully, I will be posting updates, as I will forget most of what happened if I don’t update for two weeks. We shall see.
Here’s the plan for the trip:

No comments:

Post a Comment