Monday, April 12, 2010

volver a la rutina

I'm sure you all feel as though you've read enough from me lately, so I promise that this will be short!
Most people say that traveling is tiring. Honestly, I was quite refreshed by it. Seeing all of the new things gave me energy. I was also quite ready for a break from school, and the people here certainly know how to do a break! One week, like we're used to in the US, always goes by so fast, but two weeks is a wonderful amount of time. I mean, I could have spent a few more weeks traveling, but I'm certainly thankful that there were two weeks.
Traveling, however, did make me realize a few things I miss in the US:
One shower knob to adjust the water temperature. The whole adjusting-the-two-knobs-to-try-and-find-the-right-temperature thing, especially when you don’t know if there’s any hot water anyway, isn’t my favorite. This may not seem like a huge deal, but after looking forward to a shower all day because of how gross and sweaty you are…it is.
Being able to order water in restaurants. It isn’t a huge problem when I’m in Querétaro, because I barely eat out. On the trip, I feel like I spent a fortune just on beverages because you can’t just get water. Also free refills are unheard of.
Related to the last point, I also miss drinking fountains. Seriously, free water in public places? What an amazing idea.


A quick fact summary of my trip:
-17 days
-7 cities
-6 tours involving 12 other cities/places
-42 ½ hours on busses (many more in taxis and tour vans)
-over 1,500 miles (not including extra tours)
-2774 pictures (not including the ones that I deleted before they made it to my computer)


And the rest of my weekend:
Saturday I caught up with mis padres and then my parents.
Sunday, I went to the opening of mi padre’s daughter’s restaurant. I was told we were going there to eat breakfast, which we did. I didn’t know we would be there for 4 ½ hours. I had fun, talking with other family members, but I also had a lot of homework to catch up on. Also on Sunday, my ‘aunt,’ ‘uncle,’ and ‘cousin’ came over. The cousin, Karla (the one who got married a month or so ago,) had a baby last Thursday, so he was here too, and I got to hold him. He was so adorable. It really rounded out vacations too, as I had seen so many cute babies! I’m sure Katharine got sick of hearing “look at that baby!” every other minute. Seriously though, I feel like I see a lot more babies here, and they are all so so so cute.
New Foods: I had a Nona omelet at the new restaurant. It was an egg, obviously, with cheese, apples, cinnamon, honey, and pecans. It was such a weird combination that I had to try it, and it was pretty good. On Sunday, I tried some buñuelos de molde that mi madre had made. It’s some dough that was fried in a mold, and then covered in cinnamon sugar. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. An ESL student of mine made me some bonuelos...Mexican elephant ears :D

    ReplyDelete