Monday, April 19, 2010

¿Quién necesita dormir?

Ah, back to the school routine. Well, mostly. Monday my second class was cancelled and Tuesday my only class was cancelled (of course I had to walk to school to find this out).
Thursday we went out to eat with a group of classmates to a chinese restaurant. I haven’t really eaten a lot of Chinese food in my life, but I liked it.
This week, the cactus that we have outside flowered. It flowers once a year, and the flower opens around 8 at night and closes the next morning.

Also, there are a lot of purple trees right now, that all flower around semana santa (holy week):

Friday we went out to Barra Habana to celebrate my birthday. Yes, it was a month late, and yes, we had already celebrated my birthday multiple times (birthday dinner when my parents were here, a cake at school, and going out to a restaurant). However, Laurel (the other girl from Michigan) was not satisfied with this, so we got a group together to go out to a salsa club. It was a lot of fun. I was exhausted before even leaving, as I hadn’t caught up on sleep from spring break and had stayed up almost all night writing a paper one night during the week. Eight of us met up at Laurel’s to eat cake (my third birthday cake…). We were supposed to meet at 8:30, but I think we were all finally there at 10.

We met up with more friends at the club. As if I don’t have enough trouble with Spanish, but then you throw in trying to understand people shouting over the loud music and it’s almost impossible. Luckily, everyone is super patient. They are also patient with my basic salsa knowledge (aka I can do the basic step, and try to follow along with the rest, but certainly not well). I got home around 4. Saturday Kelsey, Laurel, Laurel’s friend, and I all went to a soccer game for the team here in Querétaro. We were in the cheapest section, which is apparently where the true fans sit, as everyone not only stood the whole time (that was to be expected) but also sang the entire game.

On top of singing, they used their arms the whole time, so I imagine that by the end their arms were sore and they lost their voices.
Sorry for the bad quality of the video:

Anyway, the gallos blancos (Querétaro’s team…they’re in the first division of mexico’s soccer league, or something like that) won, 1-0, so that was exciting. I got home and planned to go to bed early, but some of mis padres’ family was over playing games (they do this almost every Saturday, but I had forgotten that it was Saturday), so I sat downstairs with them. I started almost falling asleep at the table, so I felt that it was time to go to bed. Sunday was a sleep in and homework day, and it was beautiful out, so I did some homework on the roof.
New food: puchero, which is a soup with all sorts of vegetables and stuff. It has camote (a potato like thing), lettuce, cucumber, meat, and corn. Instead of pieces of corn, though, they just cut the ear the short way and you have to pick up the piece and eat the corn off of it. Good stuff.
A few new pics: Querétaro

No comments:

Post a Comment