Sunday, June 27, 2010

el fin

My last week in Mexico...
Wednesday I hung out at home and in el centro. Also, Maria, a girl from Hope who stayed here last spring, arrived that night. She’s here visiting this week. Thursday I did some shopping and watched the Mexico-France game, where Mexico won 2-0! I also spent time packing. I prefer to do last minute packing, but I knew I was going to end up having to mail a box of stuff home. I made no bake cookies with Laurel and Kelsey. Pierre had never had them before, and neither had mi familia.
Friday I went to Parque Bicentenario.

It rained for a bit, but afterwards we rode some rides. I had come back early to make it to the post office on time. I was going to mail 2 boxes home, but apparently you can’t mail anything breakable or any kind of liquid…so that cut it down to one box. I got back home and met up with some of the Hope girls for girls night. We ate at Chili’s and crossed the highway to the movie theater, where 2 other girls joined us. I hadn’t been to the movies the entire time I was here, and then I ended up going twice in one week. We saw Toy Story 3, which I had already seen, but it was cute and the movies are cheaper here, so I didn’t mind. I plan on watching it a third time when I get home, so I can finally see it in English. Four of us went back to one of the girl’s houses to sleep. In the morning we woke up, met up with one of the Hope boys, and went to San Miguel de Allende. We walked around the main plaza, saw the church and the mirador, and went through the markets. Then we were off to the thermal waters, the same ones I went to when my parents were here. It was lovely.

We went back downtown, hung out for a bit, and came back to Querétaro in time for game night. I hung out with Maria and Edgar. Their family stayed until 1:30 am, so us children were tired and started falling asleep. Before he fell asleep, Edgar told me that he had a lot of fun with me this semester. What a cutie. I was off to bed as soon as they left.
Sunday I worked on packing. It was Father’s day in Mexico too, but it’s no where near as big of a deal as Mother’s day is here. Maria and Edgar came over again to say goodbye, so we hung out and played games and took pictures.

Mis padres, Maria, and Me:

I finished up packing, and ended up having to pass off some things to some of the other Hope girls who have extra suitcase space. After lunch I went downtown for the last time with Laurel. When I got back, my “aunt” and “uncle” came over to say goodbye to me. We ate dinner, and I finished up packing and said goodbye to Pierre and Luis. Later Kelsey stopped over to say goodbye, although saying goodbye to Kelsey and Laurel was a lot easier because they live in Michigan.
I got a solid 3 ½ hours of sleep and was up by 4:30 to start my day of travel on Monday. Mis padres drove me to the airport and we said our goodbyes. I had to switch some stuff around at the airport, but my two suitcases were at the weight limit. I left Querétaro around 7 AM.
Mountains (Sierra Gorda, Querétaro)

I got to Houston around 9, went through immigration and customs, and was off to Chicago. My carry on bag that I left at the front of the plane was sent to baggage claim, so I had to claim it and go through security and everything again. My flight got delayed, so I had a nice long layover. I got to GR around 8:30, had a nice welcome home committee, stopped at my aunt and uncle’s, and got home around 12:30.

So, 3 ½ hours of sleep, 19 ½ hours of travel, 6 hours of sleep, and I had to be up at 6:15 for work on Tuesday.
pictures from my last few days in Querétaro: Querétaro
pictures from San Miguel: San Miguel

No comments:

Post a Comment