Monday, May 3, 2010

fe fe fe

It was a long but not necessarily interesting week.
Monday both of my classes were cancelled. I had gotten a text Sunday night that my first class Monday would be cancelled, as my classmates had gone on a field trip for a different class and didn’t return until after midnight, so they decided they weren't going. This worked out well, as I was exhausted from my weekend in Cuernavaca. I enjoyed my relaxed morning and walked to school for the second class, only to find out that it was cancelled because the professor had a conference to go to. When I returned home for lunch, mis padres informed me that we would be getting a student from Canada for the summer, who will be attending a different university in Querétaro.
Jumping back to last week Tuesday, because I forgot to mention it then: I went with a friend to a high school where he teaches an English class three days a week. The students asked me questions and I responded. They’re at a very basic level, so it was fun to hear the mistakes that they made and to know why they made them. It made me miss ESL though.
A little example of the disorganization at la UAQ – there had been rumors going around at the school about whether or not we were going to have a break this week (as in the week of May 3rd), as Saturday was a holiday and so is Wednesday. I was told that it was possible that we’d celebrate Saturday’s holiday on Monday and Wednesday’s on Tuesday, so we’d have a four-day weekend. On Wednesday, I asked a classmate if this was true. She didn’t know. We asked the professor. He didn’t know. I went to the Office of Mobility, they didn’t know. Mind you, this was less than a week before the possible break was to occur! In the end, mi madre ended up calling the school, to find out that we did not in fact have a long weekend, but just a break on Wednesday.
The summer students have begun to arrive on campus. I was in the computer lab on Wednesday when I heard two guys speaking in English. They’re with a group from the University of Oregon.
Friday was “día de los niños,” or kids day, in Mexico. Mis padres gave me three cajeta suckers. I was content.
Saturday I went to el centro with Kelsey. We ate more tepoznieve (this time I had tres leches (three milks) and canto de sirena (mermaid’s song, which had peach, pineapple, and other fruits)). Both were delicious, of course.
When I got back home, the family was over playing cards, so I joined in. We had cake, as it was one of the relative’s birthdays.
Around 11, mis padres went to the bus terminal to pick up Pierre, the Canadian that they had told me about earlier in the week. Sunday mis padres were at church when we woke up, so I showed him around and we chatted about ourselves and about Mexico. He’s 38 and working on his MBA. He’s from Quebec, but has lived in Minnesota for the last 11 years, so he speaks both French and English, and is quite good at Spanish too. We all ate breakfast together when mis padres returned, and he jumped right in with their teasing me. Mis padres love that. Later I showed him around Walmart and the neighborhood.
This is the longest college semester of my life. While most of my friends have finished school or are currently taking exams, I have 5 more weeks of classes and 7 more weeks in Mexico. Ah, well. Good experience.
I took a total of 4 pictures this week, but they're not worth posting.
Next week's blog should be more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment