Friday, January 29, 2010

La vida se pone en el camino

I don’t think I’m going to have a problem adjusting to this whole four-day-week deal. I'm quite enjoying it already. =)
My only complaint was the water issues that we had this week. Sunday we didn’t have water all day. Monday we had water in the morning, but it was gone again when I got home from school. Tuesday it was back though, and I was way more appreciative of the shower that I had previously complained didn’t have strong enough water pressure. I’m pretty grateful every time the toilet flushes and I get to wash my hands.
I’m not really sure how it started, but Monday night mi padre and Ricardo gave me a little talking to about boys. They told me about the three most common lies that men tell, and the way that all men will try to fool me. Mi padre then told me the same thing he told his daughter: you need to date at least a thousand boys to figure out what you want. It was an interesting and funny conversation, but it was difficult to express myself with my lack of vocabulary.
Mis padres took me to look at the new house on Tuesday, and there were workers in there painting it, and mi madre started talking about how one of the walls was going to come out. Basically, I’m thinking it’s not really going to be completely ready when we move in, but I guess we shall see.
It was warm all week, and people here are still wearing sweaters and coats. I come home from school talking about how it’s lovely out and I just want to lie outside, and mis padres think I’m insane. I’m ecstatic not to be in freezing Michigan, that’s for sure, but I certainly miss the water. I’m not used to having warm weather but no beach.
Thursday night mis padres invited one of their friends over. His name is Ali, he’s in his late 20s, and he’s a good friend of the family (such a good friend, in fact, that Cristobal told me that he’s the only guy he lets take his daughters places). He invited me to go to Tequisqapan with him the next day. I went, despite the fact that I had a TON of stuff I should have done instead. Oh well. =)
Later that night Ricardo told me he was moving. We didn’t see each other that much because he works ALL the time, but I am going to miss him and the way he's always so smiley and happy. He gave me his business card though and told me that we should still talk so he can help me with Spanish and I can help him with English. Earlier in the week, mi padre had said that there was another exchange student from a different university in Mexico that needed a place to stay. He said it was up to me, but if I wanted, she could be my roommate. I said "sure why not." Now that Ricardo is leaving, though, I believe that we will both have our own rooms if she ends up living with us.
The trip to Tequisquiapan (Tequis for short) was short but fun. It's about an hour away from here. We walked around the plaza and looked at the markets. The markets were mostly things that the people had made. It's a small town, where a lot of people from Mexico City go on the weekends. A vacation spot, if you will.
On the way out of Querétaro:

A plaza in Tequisquiapan


Then we drove to Bernal so I could see la Peña de Bernal. It's said to be the third largest monolith (a geological feature such as a mountain, consisting of a single massive stone or rock, or a single piece of rock placed as, or within, a monument.) However, Wikipedia says it's the second largest and fourth tallest. I'm thinking that the people of Bernal averaged the 2 and 4 and settled on it being the 3rd largest. Anyway, Wikipedia says it's 8230 ft tall and around 100 million years old. It was a long walk just up to the base, and it was definitely warm out. I'd love to climb part of it, but I was wearing my flip flops (don't tell my mom. I thought we were just going to walk around Tequisquiapan, I didn't know there would be climbing). I would also need to bring my inhaler and a bottle of water. We ate lunch there and then decided to head back home. There was a mini scare when Ali's car wouldn't shift out of park, but after a few minutes of playing around, we were on our way.
La Peña from a distance

much closer... the top left is said to be an elephant...it's the side of it's head, you can see the eye and the ear and the trunk. Also, there's a chapel at the top. That way you can thank God when you get to the top without dying.

El centro de Bernal...a very tiny town

here's the link to my facebook album: Tequisquiapan y Bernal
Food – This week I finally had the opportunity to try some of mi madre’s Arabic food. Mis padres make food here at the house and deliver it to customers. Her business card says Arabic food, but up until this week I had only had tamales. Anyway, I tried kafta, which is a sausagey type meat with onions and herbs. I wasn’t excited about trying it, as it looked like something I wouldn’t like, but to my surprise it was pretty good. I also had empanadas de pasta filo with spinach filling. Those were scrumptious. I also had some pan dulces (sweet breads). One day this week for breakfast my dad made me a shake consisting of milk, sugar, papaya, and apples. What a way to start the day. I also had my first gordita. It had chicken and potatoes in it, and I liked it but it was really messy.
Monday there’s no school because of the commemoration of the Constitution. So, I’m going to Veracruz this weekend (the state, not the city) with two of the girls from Pennsylvania. I hope you’re all having a lovely week!

No comments:

Post a Comment